Chrome Extension to auto refresh Power BI report.

Chrome Extension to auto refresh Power BI report.

Requirement  : 
Power BI report will be visible on monitor/projector and team will monitor it live.
Report needs to refresh on it's own every 5 seconds.

Power BI :
We created report with SQL direct query so report shows current data when accessed or clicked refresh on report.
https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/power-bi/desktop-use-directquery


Solutions :

#1 : 
Refresh full page every x seconds
https://chrome.google.com/webstore/detail/auto-refresh/ifooldnmmcmlbdennkpdnlnbgbmfalko?hl=en-US

Issues with above solution :
Extension refreshes full page (browser refresh) so screen becomes blank for second(s).
If user want to click on report and see the data, it can cause issue if page refreshes at same time.

#2 :
Created new chrome plug in / Extension so it will click refresh button after N (seconds) interval, so it will only make AJAX call and refresh report data (not entire page).

https://chrome.google.com/webstore/detail/auto-refresh-powerbi-repo/nnigckpadeknonmjogfefhaddaegfmnn


Please leave comment if you find it useful or encounters any issues.


Comments

  1. Can you close the pop up once user clicks on start and continue refreshing the report in background. Having the popup open all the time limits its usage.
    Otherwise it works as expected. Great work!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sorry, but I left the pop-up open so you can change the frequency if needed.
      And user can always click on "close" button to hide the pop-up.

      Delete
  2. Thanks for 5* and your feedback, only reason I kept pop-up open so that users can change frequency without opening extension pop-up again and again. But I like your idea, will add new button "start and close".

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am trying to write an extension with similar functionality to yours because I like the way that your extension works (trying to learn some javascript along the way) I was wondering how you accessed the refresh button? I'm trying to sift through that menu dynamically to find the refresh button specifically, but Microsoft has disabled all of the properties such as getChildElementCount and ariaRowCount

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Send me your email address and details, I will send you code via email.

      Delete
  4. Hi Gaurav
    I am trying to recreate the same on my end. Can you send over the code on my email ID if possible.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Can this be programmed into a Raspberry Pi command prompt?

    ReplyDelete
  6. great work Gaurav. can you please send me code via email?

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hi, this work perfect.
    Is any chance refresh only data also but in a Report Server dashboard?

    ReplyDelete
  8. Very good work Gaurav. can you please send me code via email "tgtaher2008@gmail.com"?
    I search for this solution a lot of time, I apricate your support .

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Teher, send me email what are you looking for. and I will surely help you.

      Delete
  9. Hi Gaurav. Will this extension work for Power Bi service Dashboard.?

    ReplyDelete
  10. Dear Guarav,
    Excellent idea but...
    Should this extension create some popup for user to define refresh interval?
    We try to use it and nothing happens, popups are enabled.
    That means no refresh also.
    Chrome is 64 bit latest version
    Regards,
    Indrek

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. There is a pop-up that allows user to have own interval.
      Send me screen shots and debug log, I can take a look at it.

      -Gaurav

      Delete
  11. Hi,
    Great job Gaurav!!!
    Is it possible to send me the code? Other thing I'm trying to put it in kiosk mode in a raspberry pi, how can I run it when the chrome starts? is it possible?
    Thank you and once again great job

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's exactly how I want it to work too. Did you manage to find a solution to this?

      I want my reporting dashboard pc to load chrome in full screen mode and have this timer start automatically.

      Delete
  12. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete
  13. What happens if you have multiple Power BI report pages open in your browser?

    Does this initiate a refresh schedule for the report page you are on, or for all .powerbi.com sites you have currently open?

    Is it possible to use this extension for multiple Power BI tabs at once?

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

How to call SharePoint online rest APIs using postman?